Playing games is a favorite pastime of teenagers and young adults. Often times, they spend hours after hours just playing their favorite video game online. Several Internet cafes are sprouting like mushrooms around the city to cater to these gamers.
Are you one of those people who spend your free time playing games? If you are, let this serve as a warning to you. A gamer from China recently ended up getting paralyzed from the waist down after a 20-hour stint of playing computer games in an Internet cafe.
Playing Games Too Much
The man, who is still remained unknown, started playing computer games in the evening. However, the following day, his friends had to call an ambulance already when they realized that he cannot move the lower part of his body anymore. When he tried to get up for a bathroom break, his body from the waist down is no longer responding.
The incident happened in Jiaxing, Zhejiang Province in China. The said paralyzed gamer had to be taken to the nearby medical facility for immediate attention.
Lost Sensation From the Waist Down
One of the gamer’s friends who witnessed everything said that he lost sensation from the waist down.
It seems he had lost sensation completely, and couldn’t move at all. We had to call for an ambulance.
Is It Game Over?
Is it game over for this Chinese gamer? Apparently not.
What makes this incident not normal is that the gamer did not learn his lesson at all. While the hospital personnel took him away on a stretcher, he screamed to his friends telling them to keep continue playing the game.
Experts have repeatedly warned everyone about the dangers of game addiction and sitting for long periods. According to the World Health Organization, video game addiction is recognized as a mental health disorder. The National Health Service also shared multiple studies that sitting for long hours is connected to health problems like diabetes, cancer, obesity, and even death.